Terry's Running Blog

Buffalo 50 Miler

Recent EntriesHomeJoin Fast Running Blog Community!PredictorHealthy RecipesTBean's RacesFind BlogsMileage BoardTop Ten Excuses for Missing a RunTop Ten Training MistakesDiscussion ForumRace Reports Send A Private MessageWeek ViewMonth View
15% off for Fast Running Blog members at St. George Running Center!


South Jordan,UT,USA

Member Since:

Jan 09, 2007



Goal Type:

Boston Qualifier

Running Accomplishments:


All Time
2001 Provo River Half 1:18:25
2000 St. George Marathon 2:46:53
45-49 AD
2012 5K - Sandy July 4th 18:33

2011 10K - Des News 36:12,

2011 Provo River Half 1:22:10
2010 UVM 2:58:42

50-54 AD

2015 Scandinavian 10K 42:52,  2015 SLC Haunted 1/2 1:26:14, 2015 SGM 3:06:56




I've run 30 marathons.
Ran Boston in 2003

Short-Term Running Goals:


5/25/19 - Scandinavian Days 5K - 20:01

6/8/19 - CornerCanyon Half

Long-Term Running Goals:

Run to stay healthy and happy.


Married to a beautiful woman. We have 5 great kids.

Favorite Blogs:

Miles:This week: 15.00 Month: 60.85 Year: 970.21
Race: Buffalo 50 Miler (50 Miles) 09:26:11, Place overall: 49, Place in age division: 7
Easy MilesMarathon Pace MilesThreshold MilesVO2 Max MilesTotal Distance

~~Wow, 50 miles is a long way.  Now that it’s over I’m glad Tom Lee got me to do this race by running our first 50 miler as we both turn 50.

Unfortunately, I came into this race not having trained as well as most of the past marathons I’ve run.  It would have also been nice to not have been diagnosed with pneumonia Monday then feeling very weak Tuesday and Wednesday and then having terrible headaches on Thursday and Friday.  I did, however, feel pretty good when I woke up Saturday morning at 3:30am.
Race day:  Temperature 50 at start and 70 by the finish.  Off and on winds but never strong and mostly sunny.

My morning pray was that I’d be smart enough not to push too hard and that I’d be able to judge how I felt so that I’d call it quits if I needed to.  Well, my pray was answered.  A half mile into the race my left quad, on the outside, tightened up like it would cramp up if I kept running on it.    I thought it would go away, surely it was an imaginary pain, but after a while I decided I better walk for a minute to get the muscle tightening to release all the way.  It worked, but anytime from then on that I went a little faster or run the pace I’d prefer to run at my left quad tightened right back up and I had to walk.   See, the Lord blessed me with a problem that didn’t let me run faster than I should for my condition.

The first hour wasn’t near as fun because it was dark, but as soon as it got light it was fun to be out in nature running on trails.  The sunrise was awesome.   When I had run about 19 miles and ran by the starting line it seemed like I’d gone far enough for the day and would be happy getting in the car and going home.  But I’d come to run 50 miles and I was still feeling good enough to keep going.  I dropped off my long sleeve shirt and headlamp at my car and then headed out for the real punishment.

The east side trail was not near as beautiful as being up in the hill tops of the first part of the race but it was relatively flat which was nicer for getting the miles in.  I was very pleased to get a phone call from my wife and two youngest daughters that they had arrived on the island.  They caught up to me at about mile 29-30.  It’s always nice to have someone cheer and give you a cold drink.

Buy the half way point my left quad would tighten up and caused me to walk at least every mile for 30 seconds to a minute.  It got a little more frequent with longer walk breaks as the race went on.     I was very glad to get to the Ranch 33 mile point where you get to turn around and head back towards the finish line.  It was good to see Tom wasn’t too far behind me.  I felt bad for anyone that had to run as much as me.  Especially sorry for the 100 mile runners I passed.  By the time I got to the 44 mile aid station I was definitely getting tired but was enjoying the idea that I only had 6 more to go.  I fueled up and then headed up the very steep hill.  I walked it way to fast and by the time I got to the top the quads in both my legs cramped up.  I walked for about 5 minutes after that before they would relax enough to run.

Now with both legs on easy alert to cramp up and being tired the run was more of try not to think about the pain and just get to the finish.  It was nice to come around the last hill and be able to see the white tent by the finish line.  Nice to hold off Tom for another race and be able to say I’ve run a 50 miler.

The vegetable buffalo stew at the finish was very good compared to the race fuel during the run.  Nice to put something healthy inside the gut before the drive home. 

From Paul Thomas on Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 11:56:01 from

Various times prior to the Buffalo Run I lamented not joining Tom and Terry for their 50 mile adventure. After reading both of your race reports...not so much. Congratulations to you both for enduring to the end.

From jtshad on Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 09:39:42 from

Congrats on getting this one done. Well raced!

Add Your Comment.
  • Keep it family-safe. No vulgar or profane language. To discourage anonymous comments of cowardly nature, your IP address will be logged and posted next to your comment.
  • Do not respond to another person's comment out of context. If he made the original comment on another page/blog entry, go to that entry and respond there.
  • If all you want to do is contact the blogger and your comment is not connected with this entry and has no relevance to others, send a private message instead.
Only registered users with public blogs are allowed to post comments. Log in with your username and password or create an account and set up a blog.
Debt Reduction Calculator

Featured Announcements
Web fastrunningblog.com